The Quezon City Public Library started as a small unit, with 4,000 volumes of books donated by the National Library, manned only by four personnel. The Library was housed next to the old Post Office in a one-storey building at the back of the Old City Hall in Highway 54 (EDSA).
As the city grew, library services needed to be expanded in order to cope up to the needs of its growing patrons. And, in 1953 under then Mayor Ignacio Santos-Diaz, Project 3 branch was established.
1954 saw the opening of 8 additional branch libraries strategically placed on different districts of Quezon City. In 1957, the Main library was moved to a more spacious area on the old City Hall building. Also in that year, the City Council approved City Ordinance #3559, "an ordinance prescribing the powers and duties of the City Librarian and Superintendent, Quezon City and promulgating rules and regulations for the operation thereof."
From the old city hall building, the Main library transferred to the Lion’s International building at the Bernardo Park. The area was given by the Lion’s International to the City Government.
When the New City Hall Building was constructed, the Main Library occupied the ground floor for ten years, and in August 6, 1984, a new library building was inaugurated, under the tutelage of then Mrs. Pacencia J. Buendia, the former City Superintendent of Libraries. Presently, the library is still housed on the said building.
Complete History of Quezon City Public Library Click here
Requires Adobe Acrobat Reader